Greetings unto the most talented and erudite Kingdom of AEthelmearc from Mistress Alicia Langland, Chancellor of Æthelmearc Æcademy!
If you have been wanting to learn a new skill or perfect a technique you haven’t quite mastered, I invite you to attend Saturday’s AEthelmearc AEcademy and War College, hosted by the hospitable Shire of Ballachlagan.
With nearly 60 classes offered, you will surely enjoy a day of learning and doing!
Do you brew? Do you want to?
- Documenting Homebrew. What Digby never told you
- Medieval Malting
Are you interested in classes on clothing and accessories?
- A Brief History of Undergarments: The Pair of Bodies and the Farthingale
- Hitatare Kamishimo, Fancy Japanese Menswear
- Hoods for Everyone
- Ladies Japanese Outfit
- Making a Norse Hat or Sewing 101 (Youth-friendly class!)
- Yorkshire and Doublet Buttons
Does a good brawl set your toes a-tapping?
- Bransles/Brawls of Arbeau f1589
- Bring Your Own Feet Dance Practice
- Three 15th century Italian dances
Want to embellish garments that others will envy?
- Hand Applique
- To Knot or Not To Knot (Youth-friendly class!)
How about fiber arts?
- Felted Mitten Fun! (Youth-friendly class!)
- Fingerloop (Youth-friendly class!)
- Inkle Loom Make&Take
- Inkle set-up and beginning weaving
- Tablet Weaving Play Time
What about food and cooking?
- Butter Making Experiment for Children (Youth-friendly class!)
- Grain Milling for Children (Youth-friendly class!)
- In Charge of the Feast
- Lunch, Feast, or Sideboard
- Period Feasts for a Picky Palate
- Potage Practicum
Maybe you prefer hands-on/how-to classes?
- Armour Pattern Making
- Beginning Pewter – Cold and Hot Pewter Look the Same
- Introduction to Dovetails
Is history your thing?
- Bling Out Your Dead
- A Brief History of Carriages
- I Came, I Saw, I Cocked It Up: Great Military Blunders, And What They Can Teach Us
- If Not By Prowess Then By Poison
- Medieval Metrosexual?
- One Monarch, Two Interments
- Vampires – Separating fiction from fiction
- The Way of Saint James: The Santiago de Compostela Pilgrimage Then and Now
Are you musically inclined?
- The Ubiquitous Recorder (Youth-friendly class!)
- Moving Beyond Recorders – Other Period Instruments
Love drawing and painting?
- Applying gold leaf using period materials
- Basic Paint Techniques
- Illumination Play Time
- Italian White Vine: A Hands-on Introduction
- Lefties Loving their Letters
- Wax on, wax off calligraphy
Looking for ways to up your SCA game?
- Designing armory from period examples
- Drafting the Sun
- Fairy tales workshop – composition in performance
- Heraldry BINGO! (Youth-friendly class!)
- On Being a Signet
- Sharing the Wealth: creating a presentation of your work
- Using Technology to Gather and Organize Documentation
- Using Technology to Create Images for Documentation
And don’t forget there’s a host of WAR COLLEGE classes, too!
- Basics of the Japanese Sword
- Japanese Short Staff
- Melee For Fencing, how to go from mob to unit
- Shield man’s survival guide to melee
- So you want to be a combat archer
- So you want to be a Thrown Weapons Marshal
Event details can be found at http://www.aecademy.net/spring2016/index.shtml
Looking forward to seeing YOU there!