Do you have a great idea for an event, but you don’t have the vaguest idea how to do it?
Are you a novice autocrat who wants to learn more of the techniques of running an event?
On May 13, the East Kingdom Shire of Blak Rose (Harrisburg, PA) will be running a one-day Autocrats’ Colloquium for people like you.
Unfortunately, due to financial constraints, we must have at least 15 more registered attendees on Monday, May 1, 2017, or we may have to cancel this event.
This event will be a series of classes — so you don’t have to come in garb – covered topics include:
- Real World and SCA Laws – What you need to know as an autocrat about dealing with SCA and real world laws. Mistress Katherine Barr is a former Kingdom Seneschal and currently works as an intellectual property paralegal with a background in contract work.
- Food: Options and Considerations – What an autocrat needs to know about dayboards and feasts at events. Meister Dietrich Schwelgengräber is a veteran of many feasts, a Laurel for cooking and a professionally trained chef.
- Guide to Jewish Holidays – Which Jewish holidays is it important to avoid? Reb Eleazar ha-Levi, author of Compleat Anachronist 110, “An SCA Guide to Jewish Persona”, does an overview of the Jewish holidays for those who don’t understand them. “If you don’t know what Goyim means, it means you.”
- Publicizing Events – Today an autocrat has a wide variety of powerful tools available to publicize your event. A roundtable discussion on how to make sure you are choosing the right tools to get the word out, and that you are sending out the messages that you intend to send.
- Making New People Welcome – Recruitment and retention are key to the health of the SCA. How can an autocrat make new people feel more welcome? Lady Dara von Halstern has autocrated over 100 in her thirty years in the Society
- Special Needs – Accessibility issues and food allergies are two needs that an autocrat needs to consider. How can and should you take these into account when planning? Mistress Alayne Alexandra Nyvern Nightwatcher is East Kingdom Accessibility Porter.
- Budgeting – How to develop the budget for your event, projecting attendance, considering expenses. Lady Tuathflaith ingen huí Chleirigh has done budgeting for a variety of events, activities, and programs conducted by a number of different groups, including, among others, the SCA, the Mid-State Swim League, and the Girl Scouts.
- Camping Events – Camping events create their own set of challenges in both mechanical infrastructure and staffing. To run a successful event an autocrat needs to be aware of these challenges and have strategies for overcoming them. Mistress Linette de Gallardon has been autocrat for a number of camping events including Southern Regional War Practice.
- Children at Events – How and what to plan for the youngest members of the Society. The class will use a presentation prepared by Mistress Leonete D’Angely, East Kingdom Chancellor of Minors, who is herself unable to attend.
Cost is $20, with a $5 discount for members. This includes a do-it-yourself lunch board. Deadline is May 6, 2017. Make checks payable to: SCA, Inc. — Shire of Blak Rose.
Event Steward Reb Eleazar ha-Levi (mka Lew Wolkoff), 2118 Penn Street, Harrisburg, PA 17110. Email.
Send reservations to: Lady Alana O’Keeve (mka Rachel Wright), 4809 Brian Road, Mechanicsburg, PA 17050. Email.
For more information, including directions to the site, go to the entry for the Autocrats’ Colloquium in the East Kingdom Calendar.
The Google Map at the event announcement includes links to several hotels adjacent to the event site for those who might want to stay overnight.