Video of this announcement available here.
Æthelmearc COVID Policies can be found here.
SCA COVIDSafe Policy can be found here.
CDC COVID Transmission Map here.
Greetings, For those of you who don’t know me, I am Illadore de Bedegrayne and I am the Kingdom Seneschal for Æthelmearc, which is the kingdom where Pennsic occurs.
You can read it in full in the (links above), but the short summary is that everyone five years old and up must either show proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or proof of a negative COVID test taken within 72 hours of check-in, that has been issued by a medical facility. (It cannot be a regular home test.)
Some important points:
- This is required.
- If you do not have either a negative test or proof of vaccination, you will be turned away, regardless of how far you have traveled, or your status in the SCA.
- The local testing centers may be full. Your entry to Pennsic will likely be delayed hours, if not days.
- Please come prepared and please let others who do not do social media know as well. Electronic versions of proof of vaccination or a negative test are OK.
- There will be no menacing the COVIDSafe checkers at Troll. Please be kind to these staff members. They are trying to help you get through the line as quickly as possible. Anyone that starts yelling at them, bullying, acting disrespectfully, or being abusive to them will be told to remove themself from the property immediately for the duration of Pennsic War.
- Please be advised that the SCA COVIDSafe policies are for attendees. The landowners, their staff, and some of the food vendors (who don’t participate in the event) are not covered under this policy or the mask policy. There will be no menacing, yelling, or bullying of them either.
- Part 1: If you are unvaccinated, you must wear a mask at all times in public areas.This does not include when you are in your private camp – anywhere out in public, you must wear a mask over your mouth and nose. Kids: yes, this includes kids age 2 and above. Again, this is for outside your private camp, and in public areas.
- Part 2: Any place that is inside, when COVID transmission is high or substantial on the CDC transmission map (not the community level), everyone must wear a mask.
- Troll, due to its high density and volume is considered inside and masks are required at Troll.
The Great Hall/Big Giant Barn is considered inside if the doors are down, the laundry area, bathhouses, and trailers used by the SCA. Of note, the upper level of the Cooper showerhouse next to the Cooper Store will be closed and locked for Pennsic 49. The upper bathrooms will still be accessible from the deck. Please let families with older children and teenagers know that they will not be able to hangout and play games inside the shower house like they have in previous years.
- All Pennsic tents – save Troll.
- The Great Hall if all of the doors are open.
- And of course, outside.
(The Cooper Store and Internet Cafe is not part of the event and does not fall under this policy.)
Side note: Private camps can set their own rules for masks in their own camps / tent areas.
- If you get COVID or test positive for COVID while at Pennsic, you should immediately put on a mask, and return home.
- If that is not possible (say due to plane tickets), you should isolate in your tent/camp; notify your campmates for their own health and safety, do not participate in any activities such as martial, classes, A&S, court, and the like, and you can return to activities after 5 days of no symptoms and a negative COVID test issued from a licensed medical provider; or 10 days and a negative COVID test issued from a licensed medical provider if you have symptoms. Again, this is ONLY if you cannot return home due to extenuating circumstances.
We know that some of you do not agree with these policies and there is an added burden. We just want you to understand that our main goal here is to keep the greatest number of people at the lowest risk.
To summarize: COVIDSafe policy is in effect at Pennsic, you must show proof of vaccination or proof of a negative COVID test from a medical facility, taken within 72 hours of arrival, unvaccinated individuals, 2 and up, need to wear a mask in public spaces, masks are required by *all* inside, and if you get sick or test positive at Pennsic, mask up and return home.
Thank you so much and I hope you have a wonderful War.
Samuel M Thayer said:
So if I get a test and the results aren’t back for two weeks, how does one get a test within 72 hours?
I am not a doctor. but a friend who is and works at an urgent care does tests on patients there, and I believe they have very quick results. – Arianna